PDA

View Full Version : Canadians preparing for USMLE

Gallblader
04-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Привет, Юрий! Я вижу, ты тоже живёшь в Торонто. Не в Северном ли Йорке? :) Я сдал МССЕЕ и сейчас готовлю QE part 1. Также в конце мая иду на степ 2.
Желаю удачи со степ 1!

LG
04-02-2004, 10:33 PM
хотя тот сайт мне уже давно знаком. 8)

(деловито записывая адрес) Служба внешней разведки сработала?... :)

Yuri
04-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Привет, Юрий! Я вижу, ты тоже живёшь в Торонто. Не в Северном ли Йорке? :) Я сдал МССЕЕ и сейчас готовлю QE part 1. Также в конце мая иду на степ 2.
Желаю удачи со степ 1!
Привет!
Нет, я на High Park. Здесь дороговато, но мне нравится больше. 10 минут на метро - и в downtown. И контингент получше.
Я канадские экзамены не сдавал, так как планирую резидентуру на H1, хотя, это труднее, конечно. Хотя, если прижмет, придется сдавать Evaluating, чтобы получить J1.
Удаче тебе в подготовке ко 2му степу тоже.

Yuri
04-03-2004, 12:13 AM
хотя тот сайт мне уже давно знаком. 8)

(деловито записывая адрес) Служба внешней разведки сработала?... :)
Yup, securidade de opportunitado del rezidento ruso. 8)

gemini
04-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Hi,
I am another doctor from Toronto area. I am so glad to see that I am not alone here in Canada. I haven't done any exams yet, but I feel like almost ready for MCCEE and also in the process of preparation to step 2.
Yuri and Epiploic (I used to hate this foramen with your name when I was studying in the university), do you think it's a good idea to do step 2 prior to step 1? Would appreciate to hear your opinion.
Good luck with your exams!
Gemini.

Gallblader
04-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Если ти готовишь MCCEE, то имеет смысл и готовить Степ 2, лично я так делаю, правда я иду на QE part 1.
Удачи!

Yuri
04-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Hi,
I am another doctor from Toronto area. I am so glad to see that I am not alone here in Canada. I haven't done any exams yet, but I feel like almost ready for MCCEE and also in the process of preparation to step 2.
Yuri and Epiploic (I used to hate this foramen with your name when I was studying in the university), do you think it's a good idea to do step 2 prior to step 1? Would be appreciate to hear your opinion.
Good luck with your exams!
Gemini.
It's usually recommended to take Step 2 prior to Step 1 when someone has more clinical knowledge like whose who worked in clinical enviroment and out of basic sciences for a long time. But both Steps are getting closer and closer nowadays, so it does not really matter. Just the way one feels comfortable.
In your case, as Step 2 more similar to MCCEE that Step 1, I think it makes sense to take Step 2 first.

gemini
04-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Hi,
thanks a lot for your replies. I am sorry, It seems i got confused with names. I ment Gallblader, not Epiploic. Epiploic is from Prep4usmle forum(it's where I found this web address). Anyway, thank you again. And I have another question - where did you do translation of your documents.
Sorry to bother you with this nonsense, but I was trying to reach some interpreters from U of T ,and they didn't call me back. If it is not a "big secret" , can you tell me where you did yours?

Gallblader
04-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Привет! Все свои документы я переводил здесь : Илья Липес 416 630 35 17
Нормальныи дядька и берет по божески, а вообще-то я сам перевел Диплом и вкладыш к нему он только заверил.

Yuri
04-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Make sure they translate your degree right. Check this topic:
http://russiandoctors.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=622

stacy
04-06-2004, 10:22 AM
>Я канадские экзамены не сдавал, так как планирую резидентуру на H1, хотя, это труднее, конечно. Хотя, если прижмет, придется сдавать Evaluating, чтобы получить J1.
Юра, если не очень сложно, расскажите, что такое H1 and J1.
Просто интересно.Я слышалачто в Канаде подтвердить диплом сложнее, но не знаю деталей.Также слышала, что многие из Канады переезжают в США, здесь проще.Не знаю, правда ли это все.
Спасибо за ответ.

Gallblader
04-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Привет! Сделал Credential Evaluation Report своего диплома Course-by-Course Analysis и получил следующие оценки: Summary Credits:179.5 and GPA: 3.34
кто знает как ето понять, какои ето уровень?
Заранее Спасибо.

gemini
04-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Privet vsem!
Thanks a lot for information.
To Gallblader: I am not sure what all your scores mean, but I'll check with
other IMGs, may be they know. What do you need it for? Is it for Canada?
To Stacy: I haven't try myself any exams yet, but I heard that there are so many IMGs from all over the world accumulated here, in Canada and all of them are trying to get into these few spots of residency position (leftovers from 1st match for Canadian graduates), so chances getting there are very small. And the specialization - mostly Family Medicine (2 years residency). In Ontario it's even worse - there is no match at all unless you complete the OIMG program. You can check CARMS web-site.
If I am not right, correct me, please, but that's what I know.

stacy
04-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Gemini,
thanks for your replies.

Yuri
04-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Привет! Сделал Credential Evaluation Report своего диплома Course-by-Course Analysis и получил следующие оценки: Summary Credits:179.5 and GPA: 3.34
кто знает как ето понять, какои ето уровень?
Заранее Спасибо.
I have not a slightest idea what those scores mean. :?

Boris
04-07-2004, 12:19 AM
GPA (Grade Point Average) is your "средний балл" - here it goes 0-4.0. Yours is 3.3 which is good but not spectacular. They calculate you-GPA - they multiply the number of your credit ours by your grade and than get an average of all your course grades.

Credit hours - how many you had in the medical school. Your number should be high enough and comparable to the number of credits in US or Canadian medical school.

Yuri
04-07-2004, 12:33 AM
I haven't try myself any exams yet, but I heard that there are so many IMGs from all over the world accumulated here, in Canada and all of them are trying to get into these few spots of residency position (leftovers from 1st match for Canadian graduates), so chances getting there are very small. And the specialization - mostly Family Medicine (2 years residency). In Ontario it's even worse - there is no match at all unless you coplete the OIMG program. You can check CARMS web-site.
If I am not right, correct me, please, but that's what I know.
IMGs don't eat leftovers after the 1st iteration but only reheated ones after the 2nd iteration of canadian graduates. And match rate in these leftovers was just from 4 to 13% for the last several years.
http://www.carms.ca/stats/stats_index.htm
Shame. Canadian medicine is more restricted club than american one. It's more who you know than what you know.
They are crying out that just the province of Ontario needs over 1500 family doctors immediately to cover present shortages. My friend just called around 50 family doctors to find one accepting new patients.
Lots of people don't have family doctors, people wait in emergency rooms for hours to be seen by a too busy doctor.
And at the same time they don't let foregin doctors into the System. IMGs work as pizza drivers, cleaners etc.
They've been talking about this for years but changes are negligible. That's a hypocrisy I don't like about this nice country. They completely lost my credibility. Even after recently they created a new progam for IMGs, I don't believe it will work.
And family practice residency is 4 years here, not 3. Those after residency in US have to take another year of residency. Not cool.
:roll: [:(] [:(!] [?]