Dr. Durham

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Durham

Dr. Samuel "Jerry" Durham is going to Yaroslavl with us. Here is the web site of his practice - http://www.lakeshorectsurgery.com/ourdoctors.htm
    Respectfully,
    Boris

Tiptoeing through the minefield without a minesweeper...

Dr. Durham's interview by Dennis Smirnov before the mission:

Q: Thank you for taking time to talk to me today. Could you, please, just give me a quick introduction? Who you are, where you went to school, where you work?
    A: Sure. My name is Samuel Durham. I am 55. I was born in Nigeria – my parents are Southern Baptist missionaries. My father was a minister. I did my undergraduate studies at Emory University of Atlanta, with a BA in French Language and Literature. I then went to Harvard Medical School, and then went to the University of Pittsburg for general surgery and cardiothoracic surgery.
    I practiced for 15 years at the Medical College of Ohio – now the University of Toledo – and that is where I met Dr. Vinogradsky. That is where he did his general surgery residency, while I was head of cardiothoracic surgery. There I was in both academics and private practice. And now, for the last two and a half years, I live in St. Joseph, Michigan where I am in private practice with my partner where we do cardiothoracic and vascular surgery.
    Q: How did you become involved with the Russian American Medical Association, and specifically with this upcoming mission to Yaroslavl in April?
    A: As I said, I knew Dr. Vinogradsky from the University of Toledo and when he gave me a call to see if I was willing to go to Russia to help, and I said “Sure, I would be more than happy to.”
    Q: Could you give me a quick summary of the mission plans? What are the goals of the mission – what do you hope to accomplish?
    A: The first idea is to scrub in and help with the operations. The exact working days are April 9th to the 13th, but it looks like we will stay there both the weekend before and after. I am in contact now with the cardiothoracic surgeon there, and they are in the process of arranging operations to be done while I am there. And also, I believe a component of it is to see if we can find donors or participants from industry that will help with some of the materials that are scarse over there, such as valves and instruments, and take them over there with me to help with the patients they have selected to have me operate on.
    Q: How different are your methods compared to those practiced by Russian physicians?
    We are not offering them different techniques, but rather different experiences – I am 20 years older than the surgeon there. I have operated as a heart surgeon for 17 years, along with 10 years in residency and training, making that 27 years.
    Q: What do you believe can you provide that makes this mission so important?
    A: I believe it will be much the same thing that I am able to provide in the United States. My medical experience is the same thing I provide to anyone in the States that comes to me for help.
    And what do you hope to gain personally from this mission?
    I will be better able to answer that when we get back. Right now, I don’t know the exact answer to that. I plan on learning as much as I am going to teach on this mission. For me, operating with another surgeon who is already in their practice is an opportunity to learn myself.

Russian version:
    Вопрос: Спасибо что нашли время поговорить со мной. Не могли бы вы для начала расковать немного про себя? Кто вы, где учились, чем сейчас занимаетесь?
    Ответ: Конечно. Меня зовут Самуел Дурам. Мне 55 лет. Я родился в Нигерии. Мои родители баптистские миссионеры, мой отец был священником. Учился я в Университете Эмори в Атланте на факультете французского языка и литературы. Затем я поступил в медицинскую школу в Гарварде, а после окончания ее - в резидентуру по общей и кардио-хирургии в университете Питтсбурга.
    У меня была частная медицинская практика в Толедо, штат Огайо. Так же в ето время я работал главой отделения кардио-хирургии в Университете Толедо - и именно там я встретил доктора Виноградского, который в то время учился на отделении общей хирургии. Последние два с половиной года я живу в городе Сент-Джозеф, штат Мичиган, где у меня частная практика. Я занимаюсь кардио и сосудистой хирургией.
    Вопрос: Как вы узнали об Русско-Американской Медицинской Ассоциации, и почему решили поехать в Ярославль в апреле?
    Ответ: Доктор Виноградский позвонил мне и предложил поехать в Россию чтобы помочь русским больным и я сразу ответил: "Конечно, с огромным удовольствием...".
    Вопрос: Не могли бы вы вкратце рассказать об этой поездке? С какой целью вы едите? Что вы надеетесь сделать?
    Ответ: Главная наша цель - помочь с операциями. Пока мы планируем оперировать с 9 по 13 апреля, но возможно, придется захватить еще и выходные. Мы работаем непосредственно с ярославскими кардио-хирургами и они готовят пациентов, которых мы будем оперировать вместе с ними. Мы же пока пытаемся найти спонсоров здесь, в Америке, которые помогли бы нам с материалами и инструментами.
    Вопрос: Насколько ваши методы лечения отличаются от тех, что практикуют русские доктора?
    Ответ: Больше всего нас разделяют не методы, а разный опыт - я работаю кардио-хирургом уже 17 лет, после 10 лет обучения и резидентуры.
    Вопрос: Почему вы считаете что подобные миссии так важны?
    Ответ: Я считаю, что основное - это то, что мы сможем предоставить русским пациентам тот же самый уровень медицинского обслуживания, что мы обеспечиваем в Соединенных Штатах, то же самое что я могу предоставить в Америке любому, кто обращается ко мне за помощью.
    Вопрос: Что вы надеетесь получить лично от этой миссии?
    Сейчас я не знаю точного ответа на этот вопрос. Я смогу лучше ответить когда мы вернемся. И я планирую учится во время этой поездки не меньше чем учить. Для меня работать с другим хирургом - это всегда возможность учится.
    Respectfully,
    Boris

Comment

Another interview (after the mission) will be published soon, along with the interviews of Dr. Pavel Krapiva and Yevgeniy Khavkin.
      Respectfully,
      Boris

Comment

Working...
      X