Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My experience of getting to NP school without BSN.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience of getting to NP school without BSN.

Hello, guys. I would like to share my experience of getting to NP school without BSN, I know there are some people out there who consider this option.

I graduated from Belarus State Medical University and I have nursing diploma also. So I fairly quickly got my RN license here. And ever since I have been looking for school which allows me to go directly to Master in Nursing bypassing BSN. I found a couple of schools which do not require specifically Bachelor in Nursing, Duke and St. Louis. Very expensive indeed.

Out of despair I contacted the local university, Old Dominion in Virginia.
    I got accepted! They waived GRE for me, it is a distance learning program exept for clinicals and tuition is very reasonable for residents.

If you have questions feel free to write me. I also would like to get in touch with other NPs with MD degree.

Originally posted by tanya mishneva View Post
    Hello, guys. I would like to share my experience of getting to NP school without BSN, I know there are some people out there who consider this option.

I graduated from Belarus State Medical University and I have nursing diploma also. So I fairly quickly got my RN license here. And ever since I have been looking for school which allows me to go directly to Master in Nursing bypassing BSN. I found a couple of schools which do not require specifically Bachelor in Nursing, Duke and St. Louis. Very expensive indeed.

Out of despair I contacted the local university, Old Dominion in Virginia.
    I got accepted! They waived GRE for me, it is a distance learning program exept for clinicals and tuition is very reasonable for residents.

If you have questions feel free to write me. I also would like to get in touch with other NPs with MD degree.
    Поздравляю!
    Расскажи подробно, какие документы были нужны и сколько лет учиться.

Comment

Thank you.
      My university in Belarus refused to confirm my medical education. But I was lucky again, copies of my transcripts from medschool and nursing school were enough. Also I needed RN license, personal statement and so on, University Toefl was enough(you don't need to write an essay). 1.5 years for a full time and 2.5 years for a part time.

First reaction from my co-wokers: "Nobody is going to see you in this area because of your accent".

MGZ, I hope you are doing o'key, I would like to call you sometime to talk.

Comment

Таня, рад за Вас. Скажите пожалуйста, какие ещё университеты вы рассматривали? И был ли конкурс в Вашем университете? Рекомендательные письма Вы предоставили?
        Last edited by Romanych; 07-19-2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Yes, I needed 3 letters of recommendations. I was told that almost everybody had a chance to get accepted if qualified, because the program is online and you are encourage to locate your own clinicals. Duke is for sure accepts to MSN without BSN, I think St. Louis, and there are a few universities with a bridge programs. I found all information on allnurses.com.

Comment

Originally posted by tanya mishneva View Post
            you are encourage to locate your own clinicals.
            Спасибо за ответ. Вопрос по поводу clinicals - как именно происходит поиск места прохождения clinicals Вы можете вкратце рассказать? Я так понимаю можно пойти в местный госпиталь, сказать и что хочу проходить у вас практику? Право на работу при этом не требуется? И какой у Вас иммиграционный статус, если не секрет?

Comment

I have a sitizenship. I heard the stories that some people couldn't graduate from NP programs because they could not find clinical sites. This university is supposed to help you with finding the placement. I will need 616 hours with 400 hrs in primary care, it is mostly doctor's office. Finding clinicals is mostly through your connections, you can ask any doctor or NP or PA in your specialty to percept you. I am going to find out if a person actually will get paid by university for training you.
              You can't have clinicals without RN license.

Job market is tight for NPs or RNs too. So, I am really taking a risk going to school.

What is your story, Romanych?

Comment

My story is that I have RN-license and associate degree, but I don't have permission to work. Getting BSN or preferably MSN might give me one.
                Additionally, I have MD in Ukraine, so I'm pretty much in the same boat except for citizenship. The latter, however, doesn't make much of a difference in terms of getting the degree.
                Last edited by Romanych; 07-23-2010, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Romanych View Post
                  My story is that I have RN-license and associate degree, but I don't have permission to work. Getting BSN or preferably MSN might give me one.
                  Additionally, I have MD in Ukraine, so I'm pretty much in the same boat except for citizenship. The latter, however, doesn't make much of a difference in terms of getting the degree.
                  А вот и не правда. Например MGH (а это не много ни мало - Harvard) принимает людей с нашими врачебными дипломами без медсестринского образования безо всяких пререквизитов! 3 года и ты имеешь NP.Потом можно у них отработать какое то время и тебе прощают немного долга за учебу, а он (долг то есть) будет совсем не маленький! Но для этого нужно быть легальным жителем США.

Comment

Do you live in US? How did you get your RN license?
                    You can look up university website about international admissions. For domestic admissions one of the requirements is 1 year of experience as RN. I assume you have some MD experience in Ukraine, but I don't think they are going to waive nursing experience requirement.

MGZ was talking about direct-entry program. Yes, with our MD diplomas we can go directly for an advance degree in medical field (NP, anesthesiologist assistance,doctor of optometry,PA), it is just very expensive and job market is really tight right now, so it is probably not worth your money. Personally, if I had some ICU experience as a doctor I would get into anesthesiologist assistance program. It is 27 months program, starting salary 120K.

Romanych, I am sure you can find something, sometimes you have to talk to university directly, they might consider your application on individual basis.

Comment

tanya, я в Украине.

Лицензию получил закончив спец. курсы в Украине по недобору недостающих часов до медсестринского диплома, дальше CGFNS/IELTS>RN Board>NCLEX>License.
                      Врачебный опыт - исключительно интернатура по анестезиологии. Работа CRNA мне в принципе нравится, но где бы я не рассматривал условия поступления - везде требуют BSN. Будем копать дальше. Тем более, Ваш опыт говорит, что всё таки есть такие ВУЗы.

Comment

tanya, я в Украине.

Лицензию получил закончив спец. курсы в Украине по недобору недостающих часов до медсестринского диплома, дальше CGFNS/IELTS>RN Board>NCLEX>License.
                        Врачебный опыт - исключительно интернатура по анестезиологии. Работа CRNA мне в принципе нравится, но где бы я не рассматривал условия поступления - везде требуют BSN. Будем копать дальше. Тем более, Ваш опыт говорит, что всё таки есть такие ВУЗы.
                        А какие спец. курсы на украине позволяют получить врачу диплом мед.сестры? Сколько они длятся? Я в Днепропетрвске обошел все три мед.училища, с вопросом - как может доктор, кандидат наук сдать академ.разницу и получить диплом мед.сестры за год-два (хотелось иметь запасной вариант, а оставалось до запланированной даты отъезда около года по-моему...). Ответ был один - заново учиться три года...
                        Спасибо.

Comment

Originally posted by iaa View Post
                          А какие спец. курсы на украине позволяют получить врачу диплом мед.сестры? Сколько они длятся? Я в Днепропетрвске обошел все три мед.училища, с вопросом - как может доктор, кандидат наук сдать академ.разницу и получить диплом мед.сестры за год-два (хотелось иметь запасной вариант, а оставалось до запланированной даты отъезда около года по-моему...). Ответ был один - заново учиться три года...
                          Спасибо.
                          Курсы длились год, открыты были специально под получение RN лицензии. Сейчас, в связи с ретрогрессией ух уже давно нет.
                          Не смотря на скептическое отношение многих форумчан к данным курсам, такое образование прошло в CGFNS, MN BRN и сейчас я делаю индорзмент в СА и РА борды.

Comment

Курсы длились год, открыты были специально под получение RN лицензии. Сейчас, в связи с ретрогрессией ух уже давно нет.
                            Не смотря на скептическое отношение многих форумчан к данным курсам, такое образование прошло в CGFNS, MN BRN и сейчас я делаю индорзмент в СА и РА борды.
                            Жалко конечно что я прозевал такие курсы... А знает ли кто-то о существовании таких курсов в соседних с Украиной странах? Наверное, если очень будет нужно и если нет желания проходить три года в мед.училище на украине, можно и прокатиться в соседнюю Россию например, если там с этим проще.
                            Правда, мне уже поздновато об этом думать, но кто знает как все обернется... Да и насколько я понимаю есть возможность с нашим дипломом врача тут в стране получить диплом медсестры.

Comment

Originally posted by iaa View Post
                              Жалко конечно что я прозевал такие курсы... А знает ли кто-то о существовании таких курсов в соседних с Украиной странах? Наверное, если очень будет нужно и если нет желания проходить три года в мед.училище на украине, можно и прокатиться в соседнюю Россию например, если там с этим проще.
                              Правда, мне уже поздновато об этом думать, но кто знает как все обернется... Да и насколько я понимаю есть возможность с нашим дипломом врача тут в стране получить диплом медсестры.
                              Concord RusAm
                              http://www.concordrusam.com/
                              Программа переподготовки
                              Обладателям дипломов «Врач», «Фельдшер», «Акушерка» или «Педиатрическая медицинская сестра» предлагается курс профессиональной переподготовки для получения диплома «Медицинская сестра». Информация о дальнейшей подготовке к сдаче экзамена на лицензию Registered Nurse доступна в соответсвующем разделе.

Контактная информация:
                              * Телефон: (212) 619-2260, (212) 619-2280
                              * Бесплатный: (877) 787-4500
                              * Факс: (212) 619-2263
                              * Электронная почта: info@concordrusam.com
                              160 Pearl St. (at Wall St.),
                              3rd Floor,
                              New York, NY 10005

Comment

Working...
                              X